Showroom, Kuala Lumpur
Showroom, Kuala Lumpur
Showroom, Petaling Jaya
Grand Showroom, Petaling Jaya
Hoe Fook Ling
was born in Ningbo Zhejiang, the only son of a Sundry Manager, was sent
to Japan to learn the art of piano making by his
In 1920, he
decided to emigrate from Ningbo China to Singapore leaving his
wife, his only son and 6 daughters behind.
In Singapore, he setup a piano business called
Union Piano Co. and a branch in Malaysia (then known as
Malaya) with a close relative. Not long after, he successfully built
his first piano in his workshop under the brand 'Kinner'.
Unfortunately, his father was very ill and at the age of 48
he gave up everything to his relative in Singapore and return to China
to take care of his father.
By 1850s, Shanghai already had a piano shop, Moutrie & Company. It was
the first piano company that started with the sale and
maintenance of pianos and other instruments in China. In 1890, Moutrie
the first piano factory in
Shanghai with English workers and soon recruit Chinese workers from Ningbo
- famous for their woodworking
skills. Over the years, their pianos enjoyed great recognition in China and were exported to Southern Asian countries.
His son, Hoe Ah Choy
chose the same career paths as his father joined the company as a piano apprentice. Later, in 1936 at the age of
25, he was sent to Malaysia (then known as
Malaya) by the company as a piano tuner and repairer. Eventually, Moutrie & Company closed
down in the early 1950s, as did other foreign enterprises.
and his wife setup Wagner Piano Company
at Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman (then known as Batu Road) selling pianos
imported from United Kingdom such as
Kemble, J & J Hopkinson, Rogers, Bentley, John Brinsmead, Leswien
assembling from semi-completed form from United Kingdom and later from Germany and
the help of his children. As the
the shop became too small and in
1960, the company moved to a larger premise at Jalan Dang Wangi
(then known as Campbell Road)
and later at Jalan Imbi.
There, he went one
step further producing piano cabinets locally in order to
In 1969, the eldest son
and his siblings were sent on tour of piano factories in the United
Kingdom, Europe, the United States, Korea, Japan and Taiwan to study the
techniques of piano construction. In 1972, Musical
Product Sdn Bhd at Lahat Perak was setup manufacturing pianos under license
of English and German marques.
On the 16 April 1975, Wagner Piano Company
was renamed to
Piano Sdn Bhd.
Soon after, branch offices were setup in various states and appointed
over 20 dealers across Malaysia.
In 1980s, Wagner Petrof Piano Pte Ltd
(formerly known as Petrof Piano House) was formed in Singapore
as exclusive agent of
SCHOLZE pianos for Southeast Asia and Australasia.
Piano Sdn Bhd
has grown into one of
the most reputable piano retailer and the sole
distributor of world's
brand names in
Malaysia and a
center with dedicated teams specialized in piano tuning, piano
service and maintenance needs, including player piano and silent system
Wagner Piano Sdn Bhd
and lessons for children and adults.